Given my role as an account executive at IncWorx, I interface with many customers that are looking at deploying a new SharePoint farm or migrating to a newer version. One of the big things that sets IncWorx apart is our approach when it comes to these types of engagements. It's important to properly plan in the beginning to ensure that your business realizes the full benefits of SharePoint and it doesn't become an unused platform that your IT staff is burdoned with supporting. The approach below outlines the steps we generally follow in one of these engagements. Please note, installing and configuring SharePoint is the easy part....having experts that can understand your business and align their needs with SharePoint is the hard part...It's also our forte! You can also learn a bit more here!
Phase 1: Discovery
During the Discovery phase IncWorx generally performs a complete audit of the current systems in use that will be phased out and also conducts “Pain Points” meetings with business users to understand how they could utilize the features of SharePoint 2010/2013. This phase generally includes the following:
Analysis of current technology infrastructure
- Current means of document storage
- Current intranet (if any)
- Home grown internal systems that act as a hub for the company
- Review of high level Client requirements for intranet
- Pain Points meetings with key departments to determine fits for new/enhanced functionality in SharePoint 2010, and understanding Client’s near term and short term goals with the SharePoint platform
Phase 2: Information Architecture (Governance and Taxonomy Planning)
During the information architecture phase, IncWorx will work with Client to understand current governance and taxonomy strategies with the goal of understanding the current pain points or gaps. We will then develop new models based on our extensive experience that will align with Client goals and will ensure optimal usability for end users. This phase will include a review of any available documentation of the current taxonomy as well as current Governance documentation.
Phase 3: Documentation and Migration Plan
During this phase, IncWorx will create documentation that outlines our findings and recommendations from phases 1 and 2. The documentation will include, as appropriate, the following:
- Findings from the Discovery phase
- Recommended taxonomy model(s) from Phase 2
- Governance overview and/or outline
- Recommended features/functionality found in SharePoint 2010 based on Pain Points meetings
- Determination of the appropriate migration path for existing data that will be housed in SharePoint
- Recommendations for 3rd party tools based off of our findings in Phases 1 and 2 (if applicable)
- Hardware/software shopping list (if applicable)
- Roadmap and deployment plan that provides approach and strategy short and long term platform growth
Phase 4: Hardware/Software Procurement(if applicable)
During this phase Client will procure the hardware and software based on IncWorx recommendations. IncWorx will lend guidance for properly configuring and installing components if necessary.
Phase 5: Proof of Concept
During Phase 5, IncWorx will create a SharePoint 2010/13 POC environment based on the roadmap and deployment plan from Phase 3 and will perform one or more data migration tests to validate the approach prior to the Production deployment. This phase will include:
- Creation of Service Accounts
- Installation of SharePoint 2010/13 (if applicable)
- Test migration(s) of data
- One department/test group built out with data and desired functionality for validation of the approach
- Documentation of all issues encountered as well as their resolutions
Phase 6: Deployment
Once the POC and migration tests are complete, IncWorx will perform the production deployment.
Phase 7: Testing, Tuning, Tweaking
During this phase, IncWorx will review the production SharePoint 2010/13 environment with Client to ensure that the criteria from the roadmap and deployment plan have been met and that all desired functionality within the scope is present. IncWorx will also perform a post deployment analysis and ensure that all features and functionality are working properly, that all migrated data is intact, and to finally ensure that client has a solid foundation from which they can continue to build and expand upon for future phases.
Deliverables from all phases:
- Comprehensive roadmap and deployment documentation
- A fully functional SharePoint 2010 POC
- A fully functional SharePoint 2010 production implementation that meets the criteria outlined in the Roadmap and Deployment Plan
Please contact me if you need help or would like to discuss further. Paul dot Haynes at IncWorx dot com or 847-839-9679.