In an earlier post, found HERE, I walked you through how to add dropdown menus to the SharePoint 2010 global navigation. I've had several questions around how to add additional sub menus simliar to those seen below. Adding these submenus requires you to customize SharePoint within the sites Master Page.
To make the changes, follow these simple steps:
1. Open the site in SharePoint Designer by choosing Site Actions > Edit in SharePoint Designer
2. From the left hand navigation, choose Master pages and in then click the appropriate Master Page. In this example I selected the v4.master. When promted to checkout, choose yes.
3. Once the Master Page has loaded, select to view it in Code mode, which can be found at the bottom of the screen.
4. At this point you will need to search the code for the keyword "Orientation". This will bring you to the section of code where we need to make our changes. It will look somethign like this:
5. At this point you can enter your values for StaticDisplayLevels and MaximumDynamicDisplay Levels.
- StaticDisplayLevels is the number of levels of sub navigation to show by default
- MaximumDynamicDisplayLevels is the number of levels of sub navigation to show as flyouts when hovered over.
6. Once you have entered your values save the changes to the Master Page by right-clicking on the file name and choosing Save.
7. Finally, right-click on the file name and choose to Check In. When prompted, choose to publish a major version. Once complete visit your site again and verify your changes!!
Good luck! If you are looking for additional SharePoint help, contact me today at matt.breski (at) incworx.com to receive more information on our SharePoint Support Program!